Pages

Monday 6 September 2010

Say Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

Today as a gift to you I will reveal myself because it’s the month of my birthday!!! Well maybe next post, let the avatar satisfy your curiosity for now, looks a bit like me anyway....

In case you wondered my cake was gorgeous and I loved the pink ribbons and flowers scattered on it. On Saturday, I did it big in Club Colloseum with champagne and various wines courtesy of my cousin who arranged the party. The music ranged from reggae, dancehall, funky to rhythm and blues; but I really couldn’t care if Percy Sledge was playing- my excited little heart felt good the moment I went through the doors. I was intent on having a fabulous night and even the bouncers seemed friendly. It was a jam packed affair and loads of ladies scantily clad, some with way too much make-up on strutted through the disco halls intent on making an impact. The theme of the party “Dons and Divas” would have appealed to anyone from the Caribbean, but I had no idea the turnout would have been so explosive. True yardie heaven, I loved it!!!!!!

I woke up bright and early to get the day of shopping, pedicure, manicure and eyebrow tweezing started and was surprised when the weather man announced that we would have a pleasant 20 degrees out. Not exactly my kind of barbeque weather but I hate carrying an umbrella so news of fair condition is brilliant! I must say that a few tears flowed as I spilled the proverbial liquor in remembrance of my family back home who mean so much to me. Cards and phone calls will never replace the smile of my mum, the corny jokes of my sister or the little tail wag of my shitzu poodle Youkie that I had to leave back home in Jamaica.... I guess having over 350 people wishing me happy birthday on facebook has made up for it but I still miss the beach and bikinis I alluded to previously.

Birthdays are not just reminders that we are all becoming fossils eventually but as time passes we should feel some level of achievement and look back on the many life lessons we have learnt and become a lot stronger because of them; in an ideal world anyway. If your birthday is in September you will be a reflective person by nature but for those of you who aren’t; please get a clue and get it together. A birthday is also the time to tell the people you love know how you really feel because with every minute that passes life is not a guarantee, it’s a gift.

A part of the birthday agenda saw me going to church on Sunday as well, got some worship and prayers in to “balance di ting” and had a splendid curry goat dinner after; complete with fried ripe plantains. Church was rocking just like the party and now I’ve had my fill of chimes, bass, singing, even my phone ringing gets on my nerves right now. My weekend was a blast; much appreciation to my wonderful friends and family this side of the woods who have made it such a success for me.

The hectic weekend has seemed to take its toll and I’m presently at my desk with a well deserved banging headache. Things are a bit slower now that the Greenwich University is closed for Clearing, but we are still accepting applications for a few other courses offered at our partner colleges. This year is my first exposure to Clearing, it’s been really successful and the team has worked very hard to ensure we have met most of our targets. I am still quite busy fielding calls and queries from the young and innocent ones registering. They honestly brighten my day with their zest and questions about living alone and what to wear for Fresher’s ball to look hot – someone thinks I am a fashion advisor for some reason. But then again everyone knows what a little black dress can do for the figure and complexion.
Just got the cutest hot pink birthday card which the whole office gathered around to present to me!!! It was such a nice surprise, can’t see how they got everyone to sign it without my knowledge. It was so heart warming!!!!! I swear when the Head of Department called my name my heart stopped and my chest got tight; I knew I didn’t do anything wrong but still...

Love you team!!!!!!!!!!!
We had a SpongeBob theme on Friday and I lamely dressed as Patrick to the delight of my fellow team mates, beach shorts and all. We have a beautiful Bikini Bottom sign with real foliage and another ream member made a gorgeous SpongeBob cake that you have to see to believe. We had a blast acting this out and Leigh who played Sandy managed to get a clear shower cap to stick the flower in just in time for judging. The winners were announced at our gathering on Friday but we didn’t win and I felt especially stupid for my colleagues who sang the SpongeBob theme song. I of course hid under the desk at this point and hoped to vaporise into the air vent, but it was good fun. Congratulations to team “Cops and Robbers” who were working to make the Enquiry Unit a safer environment **giggle**

University starts for me later this month and I can’t wait to be back in the swing of it all, it feels like a while since I did any studying. I feel like such a loser right now and hope to be put back into a more challenging environment where ideas are bursting my seams.

Till I speak to you again, from Momo with love. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment