Pages

Friday 10 September 2010

Love or Hate

Many of my Islamic brothers and sisters will today be celebrating Eid ul Fitr and I do admire the fervour, reverence and discipline of millions of people who adhere to these and other religious celebrations and rites. Personally, I am of no singular conviction but I can see and appreciate the good in each one of them. The main advantage of having a liberal approach isn’t about taking the bits and pieces I like and disregarding the “absurd” to make my own unique religion. My train of thought is merely to respect everyone’s point of view giving them the chance to express their liberty. After all that’s what religion should be about, inevitable unity.

I guess stealing all these different and sometimes opposite concepts add to my already complex character. I have gotten back into reading my uber cute hot pink Bible as well as some bits from a Quran and I must stay I am enjoying every second of it. Apart from music, nothing else has the power to touch my soul and send me into meditation. In the end we are all searching, some of us for material wealth, eternal youth or others like me, seek contentment, peace of mind and happiness. House, dog and tv as the saying goes.

It’s great to be ambitious but we sometimes should be grateful for the simple things like being born with sight and fingers that work or even the ability to age properly. I saw an article in a mag sometime this week that brought tears to my eyes; it was a group of kids with progeria. It’s utterly heartbreaking to see innocent children suffer and ache horribly with arthritis and wrinkly skin like true 90 year olds; chances are they probably won’t even make it to age 15. I love life and the fact that I am able to feel water tingle on my skin, bend all my joints without pain or just simply being able to breathe without tubes.

My mind is running wild now and hope I have given you something to think about too. Even if you are an atheist, having a positive attitude in anything you do always brings results.

Another issue I want to talk about is what I call the weight factor. How thin is too thin or how fat is too much? I had this discussion with some colleagues today and it was very inspiring. Some strong personalities noted that even if they are a size 24 they don’t care who accepts or likes them because they are unique and wouldn’t have it any other way. This is a very sensitive issue and I may offend some with my ideas, but muffin tops and several spare tyres where your waist should be are not cute. It’s sometimes a genetic disposition but as adults we should be able to control how wide we open our mouths to vacuum in food in; likewise children should be monitored and not allowed to consume all the junk that surrounds them. I always thought that if I became mayor scales would be out at the door to every fast food joint which basically alarms if you are over a certain weight. This alarm will go off and the customer will not be allowed to purchase any of the things on offer. This to some will sound quite cruel and inhumane, but it will also be very redundant by nature as people will send others to get the food for them or simply order invisibly. I think people should be proud of who they are by all means but the country is in deficit as it is even without the pressure of weight related diseases on the NHS. I am all for big women as I am a size 12 myself and being stick thin to me isn’t very attractive either, but I am pro-life and unfortunately people who eat 3 burgers per day are staring death in the face. I don’t care if you had it with a diet coke.

This tie together the fact that some of us do not appreciate a simple thing such as our health as we take it for granted as if we can just grab £20 worth in a shop. Self destruction happens when we are not conscious of who we really, what we want to be and how we want to get there. Liposuction, gastric bands, lip injections, rhinoplasty, even buttock augmentation should not be commercialized for profit, people should love who they are and appreciate that broader nose bridge or that double chin. Finding peace in your head and your heart matters more than how full your lips look after a poison injection. Black women also have the cursed practice of skin bleaching, which destroys melanin and leaves your a face a blotchy pink and black patchwork which in the voice of Paris Hilton “aint hot”. On the other hand its so funny seeing carrot coloured female who forgot that the back of their ears and necks existed; waltz down the street as if they just got modelling contracts. All self hate.

I do not proclaim to be better than the other woman or man, we are all flesh and blood; we just need to use discretion and appreciate the small simple things so we can find love within.

From Momo.

No comments:

Post a Comment