Pages

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Love and War

'All is fair in love and war' quote from John Lyly's 1578 'Euphues'. I guess this could be perceived in many different ways but frankly, does this phrase stand to reason? Especially as it regards war? Do countries have the right to assault others in the name of public interest? I come from a volatile country myself but I do not believe war in any shape or form, is a reasonable course of action. It costs millions in lives and dollars/pounds and I am sure there are many avenues of conflict resolution that do not amount to bombs, submarines or grenades. Unless you have been under a rock for the last few months you should be aware of the several rounds of upsets in the Middle East recently, particularly in Egypt and Libya. These clashes along with the recent quake and tsunami in Japan have left the world in a sombre mood as we seek to find peace and stability within our own countries. But on this planet there never seems to be a dull moment.

I wont bore you with my usual rants about saving the planet, blah blah blah, but I would like to emphasize how precious and beautiful life is. Try to live for the moment sometimes, people out there are having a rough time!

On the more positive personal side;
I have finished that dreaded event planning portfolio and just when I thought I had time to unwind, the reminder of another 6000 word portfolio slapped me back to reality. I am back on the grind with my poor laptop that seems to be tired of my incessant key tapping. Its responding by highlighting paragraphs at will or random cursor movements that my fingers have nothing to do with. As if overheating on my lap wasn’t enough *kmt*
But all is fair in uni and coursework I guess.

The birds outside and ships that pass by the river make for a great momentary mental release though and I try to refocus every time I find myself looking away too frequently. Writing becomes just a jumble of words if your heart isn’t in it, so lets say the mind drift thing is my own self preservation strategy hehehe. Saw my examination timetable yesterday too and a bittersweet feeling swept over me. My time with Greenwich will have to end one day. Bitter sweet because I will of course have completed my academic qualifications, made life long friends and found a brilliant job working for the University, but sadly one day will I wont be as involved as I would want.
There’s no use sitting on the couch, feeding the pouch of a belly thats growing in front of me by eating ice cream and chocolate for breakfast (another self preservation action I'm sure) but in life we all should learn to move on. Its what makes us resilient in the end.

The great film icon Liz Taylor who passed away last week remains not only the most beautiful woman in history (in my opinion) but she had a persistent will and focus inside her that kept her going on strong after many health issues. It shows you are older when you remember films like Cleopatra and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, but she had so much elegance and glamour on screen that will make her unforgettable. She fought for ethics she believed in and lived by her rules, and was a classy woman doing it. She now joins Michael Jackson in the same resting place and I hope to meet her in heaven when I get there.


Rest in peace Lizzy,
With love Momo.

No comments:

Post a Comment